Sushi in Japan.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Newport Shores













Newport Shores
Port Washington, WI

Well my friends it has been awhile but I have finally returned to write a new food
blog. I have so many places to review but I thought since tomorrow is Friday and we are in Wisconsin, I will discuss my last fish fry. Now usually I wouldn't find myself in Port Washington, unless it
has something to do with pirates, but with family living there I find myself heading in that direction every so often. With a wonderful little downtown and being right next to the lake, there are plenty of places to check out in the area. While I've only eaten in Port Washington for Pirate Fest, I never got the chance to eat at any of the places around there, and that leads us to Newport Shores.




Located right on the lake inside of a place that looks like it was once an old farm home, the area couldn't be better for seafood. The big windows we were next to gave you a good look at the lake and although the place was a bit crowded and the tables were all in very close proximity, it still gave off a nice
home/comforting atmosphere. When you walk in there are a bunch of tables and a decent sized bar while in the back there is a room for larger groups, and that is where i was seated. Like I said, the place was a little crowded, and was tough to move around but you'll find that at most places on the weekends. The menu itself was a good size and had a nice selection for the seafood lover and the non seafood lover



As far as prices go, look to be spending between $9 to $20 here, more than that if you're looking at their Porterhouse ($26.95) or the many lobster and king crab leg meals that also include different steaks, which are all listed as market price on the menu. If spending a lot isn't an option for you, a catfish or tilapia fish fry maybe a good choice ($9.95) or the basic cod fish fry ($10.95). Lake Perch and Canadian Pike were also 2 other options that you could choose from. ($12.95) If you aren't a fish person, they had a variety of steaks that included Top Sirloin ($13.95) or a New York Strip. ($19.95) If your like me and steak doesn't suit you, then the baby back ribs ($19.95) are usually a good choice. Being the seafood lover I am, I decided to go with the Seafood Platter ($13.95) and a bowl of Seafood chowder ($2.75).




I ordered the Seafood chowder, because I can't pass up a good cup of soup and it also came with some coleslaw. The soup was probably the greatest part of my me
al. It was thick and creamy and was filled with potatoes and almost every bite had crab and a few other things thrown into it. It was good because it wasn't overly fishy like some seafood soups can be and it didn't screw you out of any of the seafood like some places do. I must admit that this was one of the better soups I've ever had in my life, and even the coleslaw was really good, and I don't even like coleslaw. Overall it was a perfect soup and I wish more places would carry this kind of soup with this amount of quality. As for my fish fry I ordered, well it could of been worse.




Like most places, you got to choose a side of fries or a baked potato but if a place offers rice, I get rice because I love it. Along with the rice, the Seafood platter came with fried shrimp, your choice of fish, and scallops. You can choose between two different fish and I believe that I got the perch, which is usually
a good option. While my rice was delicious, I had mixed feelings on the other items. I think I'm losing my taste for fish fries, they just don't taste great to me anymore, how un-Wisconsin of me.
Neither one of my items had an outstanding flavor, except maybe the perch, which stood out a bit more. The batter was very salty and you could taste that strong saltiness more than the flavors of the seafood. It went pretty well with the fried shrimp though, I don't think you can really do wrong on those and they were pretty delicious. While the scallops lacked a lot of flavor when they slipped out of the batter and weren't anything memorable. I must say that they gave you a lot more fish than breading, which is hard to find at a lot of places and is always a plus to a meal. I probably could of done without the scallops, which is weird because I love scallops, and the perch wasn't bad choice but wasn't the greatest thing ever.


I don't want to leave you with a bad taste in your mouth after reading this because just because I didn't enjoy a fish fry, doesn't mean that it's a bad place. I think my tastes are just changing, and while although it wasn't the best, it was better than a lot that I've had before. I also included a picture of the cheese curds that we ordered because they were delicious and tasted great with the ranch that came with them. Before I end this, I must also mention that the specials here were great. They gave you TONS of options to choose from with their specials. Lots of unique fish and some different flavors that I haven't seen at to many places like this. My Dad ordered the blue gill from the specials and it was delicious! Another person I was with ordered the stuffed shrimp ($9.95) and I tried some and that was also a very tasty option. Overall, if you are with your family and want to go out to get a fish fry or a steak out in Port Washington, I'd make this a place to look into.

If you are interested in looking at other meals they offer, they have their whole menu online which includes burgers, chicken, pork, and even deserts!

Thanks for reading!

PS: Sorry for the weird fonts in the blog, it does that for some reason and I have no idea how to change it, so hopefully it's not that annoying.



No comments:

Post a Comment