Sushi in Japan.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Molly Cool's Seafood Tavern

Molly Cool's Seafood Tavern
(Milwaukee, WI)



Over the past few years seafood has become one of my favorite things to go out to eat for. Although I haven't been out to very many seafood places in Milwaukee, Molly Cool's was one of the first ones I tried. Located on North Old 3rd Street, near places such as Lucilles, Maders, and Turner Hall, it's a great place to stop by before a concert or an event at the Bradley Center. It is also located right on the river, so if you are lucky you may get a seat with a good view of the boats and the water. One thing I really like about this place is that there is plenty of seating. When I went, the place was packed and we still got a seat very quickly. It's also nice because it has very nice fancy atmosphere, but doesn't come off as a fancy dress up restaurant. Enough with all that though, lets get to the food.

I went out for lunch yesterday so I only really got to view that menu but from what I saw no one should be disappointed by the selection. This place offers one of the biggest seafood menu's I've ever seen with ton's of great options. With clam chowder, 1 1/4 live lobsters, crab legs, po boys, to seafood pastas, there is plenty to choose from. They also have their fair share of specials to choose from, such as $19.95 lobsters on Sundays and from 3-6 pm every Friday they have a "oyster orgy," where you can get $.69 oysters. If you're not a fan of oysters like me, they also offer $3.99 shrimp and $1 tacos. Like a lot of other seafood places, you will pay a little bit more for a meal. At Molly's the wraps are usually the cheapest, starting around $9.50, but as you go on to the other stuff you won't find much under $11.95. If you're looking to try some of the signature meals or pastas, be looking to spend more than $16.95. Which actually a pretty tame and average price for seafood. I was lucky the day that I went in they were having a special Milwaukee Dining week where I got to indulge in a $10 3 course meal.

There were a few options that could be chosen from the 3 course menu, and for my appetizer I chose the crab cake. Crab cakes are one of those items that are really hit or miss, some people can do them to perfection and some don't know what they are doing. In this case it was a mixture of both. Like a lot of places that sell crab cakes, they really jip you on the amount of crab in the cake and pile in the breading, thinking maybe it will cover up the lack of crab. At Molly's, had a decent amount of crab in it but not enough to overpower the taste of the breading. It had a good flavor to it, don't get me wrong, and the parts where there was crab were delicious. I won't really hold it against them though because the only time I've ever had a crab cake with a good amount of crab in it was a homemade one, and maybe 1 other place. The other thing that was kind of a turn off was that it felt a little to deep fried. Usually crab cakes are nice and soft as you cut them with your fork. This one was kind of crunchy on the outside, but had the soft inside that I'm used to. Besides these 2 little things, it was a tasty item and the coleslaw that came with it was quite delicious, and I don't even like coleslaw. If you're one for a dipping sauce, the crab cake with a thousand island like dressing, which I'm not a huge fan of. Since the eating of the crab cake was over quickly, I waited for the next part of my meal.



Originally I wanted the crab wrap as my entree, but I found out that it had olives in it and you couldn't get substitutions, so I decided on the walleye fish fry instead. When I got my basket, I wasn't really surprised by what I got. It looked like fish and french fries in a basket, which is basic for a fish fry. I tried the fries first, which were actually really good. They were soft, and not to salty. It's tough to win me over on fries since I'm not the biggest fan, but these were worth eating. As for the walleye, there is not much I can say. Do you like fried fish? Have you had a cod fish fry before? Or any kind of fish fry? That's what you got here. The walleye was in a kind of long stick form and tasted like fried fish. The breading didn't have any overwhelming flavor to it so it was nice to get a good taste of the fish over the breading, which some places have an issue with. It's tough to go into detail on the walleye because it wasn't anything breathtaking, just a bit of an above average fish fry. I couldn't tell the difference between the walleye or your average cod fry, but hey I like fish fries and it did it's job to fill me up. One of the reasons I wanted the crab wrap originally is that it came with a bowl of crab bisque, which I really wanted to try. Since the walleye basket didn't come with it, I just decided to order a bowl.

One of the best parts of my meal was the crab bisque. I have never had a better seafood soup in my life. Some people might be a little turned off by the little more intense seafood flavor and the thickness of the, but I couldn't of asked for anything better. Every bite had loads of crab meat in it and at some points I even got big chunks of meat, which I was impressed with. The slightly tomato like flavor of the soup added nicely to the to it also. My father said that it was a little to salty for his taste, but I didn't really notice because I thought whatever they added to give the soup it's flavor was perfect. For $5.95, you get a good sized bowl for an amazing soup. If you are a fan of crab and soup, come here just to get this. It was for sure the highlight of my meal.

Lastly, I must mention the dessert, because that's usually the best part of the meal. For the 3rd course you got to choose from key lime pie, cheesecake, or a chocolate mousse. I ended up going for the cheesecake, since it's one of my favorites, while my dad got the key lime pie. Even though the cheesecake was a small portion, I still got the full flavor of it. It was sweet, creamy, thick, and overall delicious. It was one of the better cheesecakes I've had. It tasted how you imagine cheesecake tasting and the texture was perfect and soft. While my cheesecake was good, the bite of my Dad's key lime pie was on a whole other level. I've never really had key lime pie before so I decided to try a little and I'm glad I did. Like the cheesecake, it had a nice creamy texture and the flavor was super intense, but in a good way. It was tart, sweet, and one of the better thing's I've ever tasted in my life. Our waiter said that people will order a piece, go for a walk, and then come back and order another. While I think some waiters make up stories to make their products seem better, I would have to believe his story upon trying this pie.

If you like seafood and looking for a place to try in Milwaukee, stop by Molly's. There selection is top notch, if your looking for sashimi, lobster, crab, burgers, oysters, a fish fry, they have it all. I've had some of their other items here in the past and wasn't let down. You maybe paying a bit more but you are getting a good quality meal out of it. If you are interested in checking out what they have to offer, all of their specials and menus are on their website, so you can check out what they have for dinner, or lunch. So if you're ever out for a concert at Turner Hall or a Bucks game at the Bradley Center and you're feeling a bit hungry, check this place out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment